Rajesh Khanna’s last recorded message for fans and friends!

Before breathing his last, Rajesh Khanna left a recorded message for his family, friends and fans. This was his way of saying goodbye to everyone who loved and adored him. Here is the transcript of the message that he originally left in Hindi.

Mere pyaare dosto, bhaiyo aur beheno. Nostalgia mein rehene ki aadat nahi hai mujhe. Hamesha bhavishya ke baare mein hi sochna padta hai. Jo din guzar gaya hai, beet gaya hai, uska kya sochna? Lekin jab jaane pehchane chehre anjaan se ek mehfil mein milte hai toh yaadein wapas tazaa ho jati hai.

(Dear friends, brothers and sisters. I’m not used to being nostalgic. I’ve look forward to future. What’s gone is gone, why think about it? But when familiar faces meet again, some memories are refreshed).

Mera janam theatre se hua, mein aaj jo kuch bhi hu yeh stage, yeh theatre ki badaulat hu. Mein jab filmo mein aya toh mera koi Godfather nahin tha, koi risthedar nahi the, koi sar par hath rakhnewala nahin tha. Main aya through the United Producers Filmfare Talent contest. Humko bulaya gaya that Times of India mein. Wahan par bade-bade producers thhe, chahe woh Chopra saab thhe, Bimal Roy thhe, Shakti Samnta thhe, bahut saare thhe. Unhone kaha ke humne aapko dailogue bheja hai, woh yaad kiya aapne? Mein saamne bhaitha thha aur woh ek badi si table mein line mein bhaite thhe. Mujhe aise lag raha thha ki court martial ho raha hai, jaise abhi yeh bandook nikalenge aur mujhe maar daalenge. Meine kaha ki dailogue toh yaad hai lekin yeh jo dailgoue hai, yeh aapne nahi bataya ki iska characterisation kya hai ki yeh hero jo hai woh aapni maa ko batata hai ki main ek nachnewali se shaadi karna chahta hoon aur usko teri ghar ki bahu banana chahta hu. Meine kaha, aapne na character bataya maa ka, na hero ka, ki bhai ameer hai, gareeb hai, maa sakt, kadak hai, naram hai, middle class hai, aadmi pada likha anpad hai? Toh Chopra saab ne jhat se kaha ki aap theatre se ho? Haan ji. Main kaha, dialogue toh aapne bhej diya ki kis tarah maa ko convince karna hai, dialogue bolna hai aapne characterisation nahin bataya, yeh toh koi stage ka actor hi bol sakta hai. To bole theek hai achcha hai tum koi aapna hi dailogue sunao. Ab kaho toh khoon nahin, pasina chut raha tha. Meine kaha kya dialogue bolu, mere saamne sab bade bade log, inki sab picture 10-10 baar dekhe hai, produce-direct ki hui. Jo dialogue, jiski wajah se mein filmo mein aaya, mujhe GP Sippy ne chance diya 40 saal pehle, Haan mein Kalakar hu, Haan mein Kalakar hun, kya karoge meri kahani sunkar.

(My journey began with theater; I owe my success to the stage. This theater where it all began when I joined the film industry. I had no God Father, no relatives or family that I could turn too. I came into the movies through the United Producers Filmfare Talent contest. We were called to the Times of India office in the presence of celebrated filmmakers like Chopra saab, Bimal Roy , Shakti Samanta and many others. They asked me we had sent you a dialogue, did you memorise it? I was sitting in front of the table where they were seated and felt I was undergoing a court-martial. I thought they would take a gun and fire at me. I said, "I know the dialogue but you haven't told me what's the characterisation of the person who is to narrate this dialogue. Is the hero who is telling his mother that he plans to marry a dancer and make her the daughter-in-law of the house, is this hero rich , poor, a villianous character or a pleasant fellow, is he from the middle class?" So, Mr Chopra said, "You are from the stage so make your own characterisation how will you convince the mother." I said this is not a dialogue for a stage actor to mouth, so he said then you chose your own dialogue. I was nervously sweating and anxious wondering which dialogue should I impress them with? I had seen their movies several times. Then, by the grace of God, I remembered a dialogue from a play I had done, and this is the dialogue I said which took me towards stardom. The dialogue was Yes I am an artist , yes I am artist, why would you want to hear my story.)


Filmo mein aa toh gaya, lekin aane ke baad, woh khoobsurat kamyabi ki seedi chadne ka mauka mila, yeh sehra toh aapke sar hai. Yeh aap hain jinhone mujhe actor se star banaya, star se superstar banaya. Kin alfazon mein aapka shukriya adaa karoon, mujhe samazh nahin aata. Pyaar aap mujhe bhejte rahe, pyaar woh mujhe milta raha. Uss pyar ko main kabhi vapis lauta nahin paaya. Lekin jo bhi kehna chahunga, jin alfazon mein bhi main aapka shukriya adaa karna chahoonga, woh mere dil ki sacchai hogi, meri imaandari hogi, mera zameer hoga.

(After I came into the films, the success I got, the opportunities I got, your (friends and fans) are to credit for that. It’s you who turned me from an actor to a star and then a superstar. With what words shall I thank you, I can’t fathom. You kept on sending your love, I kept on receiving it. That love, I could never return back. But whatever words I chose to thank you with, it will be the truth of my heart, it will be my honesty, my conscience.)

Aaj mera dil halka hua aapse baat karke, aur aapka maine shukriya adaa kiya. Mujhe khud ko accha lag raha hai, ki chaliye iss bahane aapse mulakaat hui.

Kisse apna kahein, Koi iss kabil nahin milta,
Yahan patthar toh bahut milte hai, magar dil nahin milta.

(Today, my heart is light after talking with you and thanking you. I myself feel good that on this pretext I got to meet you.

Whom to call mine, none that befitting I can find,
Stones abound here, but a heart I cannot find.)

Doston aap ka ek hissedar mein bhi hoon, aur jaise maine pehli bhi kaha ki aap apna kimti waqt nikalkar, aap ka yeh pyaar tha ki aap majood hue aur itni bhaari ssankhya mein..meine yehi kahunga ki bahut-bahut sukhriya, thank you aur mera bahut-bahut salaam.

(Friends, I'm a part of you, and as I said, you have all taken time out for me. This is the love, your presence in numbers that I'm grateful for, thank you, thank you my salaam to you all.)

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post