Aamir on " K W K"

Karan Johar, who's as famous for 'Koffee With Karan' as he is for his films, says that he wants Aamir Khan to come to his show, not with Salman, but with wife Kiran Rao.

I have to be honest, I don't write those questions myself. If at all I do, it's only for the rapid fire, at times. But I don't think I need any homework, I know a lot about them anyway," says Karan Johar about his show 'Koffee With Karan'. He's down with malaria, and couldn't accompany buddy SRK for his birthday celebrations in Berlin.

Being a film industry insider also gives Karan the advantage of taking any interview with a celeb beyond what they can expect. After all, he knows more than what others do. "But I can't ask many controversial questions," he counters. "I do, however, ask questions regarding affairs and relationships, but that's only when they have answered the same question often in public. Even if they deny their alleged relationship, my expression (he gives a mischievous smile in return for answers he doesn't buy, remember?) makes all the difference – and the whole thing sounds very lighthearted."

But does that also mean that if the guests request him to edit a few excerpts from the chat, he'd agree? "Yes, I do, a lot of times. Indeed, the uncut version of "KWK" will be much more controversial than what one sees," he claims with a smile. "But that'll always be with me and never shared with the audience. In reverse, at times, I also call up my guests and say 'Look, I don't think this particular part is going to go down well with the audience, so I am deleting it,' and they agree."
So he's never cribbed that the interesting portions are sliced off? "For me, it's not about any sensational punchline that would attract viewers. So when I call my guests, I ought to respect them," he says.

How does he handle two (or three) guests who are on the couch as they are his friends, but can't stand each other? "It's a myth that I call people who don't like each other. And even if they do, they are mature enough not to let it affect them. I have shot with Deepika and Sonam – two competing actors – and those kids (kids?!) were so chilled out. It was amazing to see how they have grown above their issues, and were full of chemistry," recalls Karan. He has shot with Imran and Ranbir, and even Imtiaz Ali, Raju Hirani and Farah Khan in a director's special episode.

What about Aamir Khan – is he going to be on the show with Salman Khan, as rumoured? "I have invited Aamir along with his better half. I want him to come only with Kiran, because I really like her. Let's see if they come over," he says.

The coffee hamper has a high-end smartphone and a few more gadgets this time. The sets are black and red... Is the host doing anything different? "I am three years older now!" he laughs. "But no, not at all. I'm going to wear my black suit and black shoes... what can I do to myself? I am just a filmmaker, at the end of the day," says Karan, and after a pause, adds, "Unfortunately, I am known more for my talk show than the films I make. I mean, it's good because my hobby has worked more than my job, but it's unfortunate because my passion – that is filmmaking – goes unnoticed. A lot of times, when I travel abroad, people look at me and say they really like my show, but don't say anything about my films. That's sad."

Rapid fire round
He gets his guests on their toes with those fast-paced questions; we made him answer a few rapidly, not giving him much time to think

Best Guest: Rakhi Sawant
Worst Guest: That's not fair! Just because I agreed for this, doesn't mean I have to answer this one also.
USP of the show: Intimacy between me and the guests.
Worst part of the show: The breaks we take in between, it affects the flow of the conversation. I just don't like it.
How many scenes edited: Oh! Many.
Does the lie detector help? No, it's just there to make some noise.
Most surprising show: With Himesh Reshammiya. The show came out better than I had thought.
Ever got emotional? No, never.
Next Season: Oh! Let's just get over with the battle, and not think of the war right now.



Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post