I don't know comedy, says Sunil 'Gutthi' Grover

Sunil Grover, who shot to stardom with his Gutthi act on Comedy Nights with Kapil, was total fun on Agenda Aaj Tak 2013. He gave lot of fun-filled moments by enacting Gutthi and Sud. He also mimicked Dara Singh on the show. He also spoke about the controversy surrounding his character Gutthi and Comedy Nights With Kapil after he left the show.

Here are some highlights from Gutthi's session:

I am from a small town of Haryana punjab border, have observed girls from my college and school days to come up with Gutthi.

I have a special power to understand a human psyche. I just enter to a persons mind and try to enact them.

Gutthi has come from my experiences I had in my college. I used to study in Guru Nanak college and there we had only seven girls out of 4,300 boys. And girls in small towns mostly behave in the same manner the way I used to do in the show.

I am a small wannabe. I dont like something which is perfect. Its more fun being a wannabe because there is always a scope to learn more. When I approach a character, I dont take it as comedy because I dont know how to do it.

I used to take up a character from our family and used to highlight one side of him in our marriages. People used to laugh at me like anything. Thats how I built up the confidence of becoming a funnyman.

Talking about his famous radio character Sud, he said Sud phase is over and he has moved on to TV.

Enacting a character is like a meditation for me.

I was overwhelmed by the love I got worldwide due to my character Gutthi.

Gutthi is not lost as she is everywhere.

Grover said when people say they had "invented" the character, he is both surprised and dismayed since characters like these live the next door all across the country.

Subtly demonstrating through his light moves which somewhat resembled Gutthi's and yet were different, Grover showed how there could be no copyright over a character so universal.

Gutthi becomes a host, interviews Baba Ramdev:

Sunil asks Baba Ramdev: This personality that you have, how did you acquire this? Why don't you cut your hair? To which Ramdev replies that I did not interfere with the nature, so didn't cut my hair, don't know why you did!

Do you watch films? Have you seen Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge? Ramdev replied: I don't see movies, feel we should be real

I live the life of a yogi: Baba Ramdev.

When Ramdev asked him and blessed him saying he should earn more, then Sunil said, "Aur zyada mile isliye maine chora. I spend most of my time these days in explaining why I left Comedy Nights."

On repeated requests, he sang his famous Gutthi song: "Aap aaye hain is gulshan mein..." but with a twist. The song had a message against female foeticide.





Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post